11. De Grieksche A - The Greek A / L 'A grec (workshop active from 1657 - 1818), Lange Geer 44-46 stretching all the way in the back to Achterom 64.
Wouter van Eenhoorn (managed workshop 1658-167) trade mark sign
Samuel van Eenhoorn (managed workshop 1678-1686) trade mark sign SVE
Adrianus Cocx (managed workshop 1686-1701) trade mark sign AK
Pieter Kocx (managed workshop 1701-1722) trade mark sign APK and AK
Jacob van der Kool (managed workshop 1722-1757) trade mark sign AIK
Jan Teunis Dextra (managed workshop 1757-1765) trade mark sign DEX/D
Jacobus Halder Adriaensz. (managed workshop 1756-1768) trade mark sign AIH
Jan van den Briel (managed workshop 1768-1796) trade mark sign AJVDB en A
Pieter Jansz van Marksveld (managed workshop 1796-1811) trade mark sign APVMV
'Names of houses' file mentions this address in 1602, 1626, 1703 as "Geer bij Achterom / Zuideinde" thus near the southern tip of Oude Delft, probably at number 4 or 6. In 1817 the address is however listed as Koornmerkt, east side.
Masters & apprentices
All masters and apprentices working at this workshop had to be inscribed in the Delft St Luke Guild Book. In 1877 this book was published in a 120 page text by Obreen. In 2002 this text has been scanned and is now available and fully searcheable on this internet site. See the yellow field on top; first click the heading Delft Artists & Patrons and then click Obreen. The full text is in Dutch. Spelling varies; in order to find masters or apprentices of a faience workshop (plattielbackers, plateelbacker, platielbacker) search for the letters "plat".
Translation from Trade Mark book 1764, entry 1764: " A / ITD My faience workshop the Greek A above the door with the shown letters, so we set this mark on the back of our best goods in order to distinguish these."
Translation from Trade Mark book 1764, entry 1765: " The trade mark which the undersigned as present day owner of the faience workshop Greek A shall put the following trade mark on his goods: A / I:H
A serious collector of Delftware will attempt to identify and date the object. On Delft blue plates and other Delftware objects such as jugs, a potters mark may give a first indication. One should always treat potters marks with caution. Marks must be considered as just one indication.
A correct dating of Delft blue tiles is much more complicated; there is usually no potters mark on a tile. Regarding tiles the serious researcher may rely instead on one of the following sources: 1) company archives 2) the date set by actual tiles still found in situ in a building which itself can be dated, 3) the design or image ; the best documentation collection is the archive of 70.000 photos in the Nederlands Tegelmuseum in Otterlo near Arnhem, The Netherlands, 4) the size, thickness and other technical characteristics. An excellent source book with thousands of illustrations and technical discussions is this recent book in Dutch and English, written by Jan Pluis (see the cover to the right).
Only these Delft potteries produced Delft blue tiles: Rouaan, later known as Het Lage Huys; De Lampetkan, De Vergulde Blompot, De Ham, De Dissel, De Paeuw / Paauw, De Roos, De Grieksche A.
Full presentation at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalden Email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions about identifying, dating, valuing, buying and selling: please go to www.Aronson.nl.
Notes: Thanks to the Delft Archives Staff for their help and enthusiasm. A well researched two volume book on Delftware is Marion S. van Aken-Fehmers et al, Delfts Aardewerk, Geschiedenis van een nationaal product, published jointly by Waanders, Zwolle & Gemeentemuseum, Den Haag, 1999 (part 1) and 2001 (part 2).
Mark shown in Jean Justice, 'Dictionaire des marques et monogrammes de la faience de Delft', Gand/Gent 1901.
Jan Pluis, De Nederlandse Tegel, decors en benamingen 1570-1930, The Dutch Tile, Designs and Names 1570-1930, Published by: Nederlands Tegelmuseum / Vrienden van het Nederlands Tegelmuseum [Otterlo] / Primavera Pers, Leiden 1997.
How did they make Delft blue faience? text in English
Hoe maakte men Delfts blauw plateel? Tekst in het Nederlands.
Visit The Hague municipal Gemeentemuseum site on Delft Blue.
Latest address location information was added from W. Hoekstra-Klein, Geachiedenis van de Delftse Plateelbakkerijen, vols 1 - 11. Published by the Stedelijk Museum 'Het Prinsenhof' Delft.
This page launched January 2002. Last update 25 October 2016..