In de Vergulde Boot

30. In de Vergulde Boot - in the Gilt Boat / Au navire doré (workshop active from 1612 - 1770). Situated at Oude Delft 182 and four houses, connected in the back, in Baljuwsteeg alley. between Oude Delft, east side and Voorstraat. 'Names of houses' file mentions De Gulden Boot in 1706.

A wonderful 90 page publication by Hoekstra-Klein focuses on this workshop.

Delftware Connoisseurship

A serious collector of Delftware will attempt to identify and date the object. On Delft blue plates and other Delftware objects such as jugs, a potters mark may give a first indication. One should always treat potters marks with caution. Marks must be considered as just one indication.

Masters & apprentices

All masters and apprentices working at this workshop had to be inscribed in the Delft St Luke Guild Book. In 1877 this book was published in a 120 page text by Obreen. In 2002 this text has been scanned and is now available and fully searcheable on this internet site. See the yellow field on top; first click the heading Delft Artists & Patrons and then click Obreen. The full text is in Dutch. Spelling varies; in order to find masters or apprentices of a faience workshop (plattielbackers, plateelbacker, platielbacker) search for the letters "plat".

 

Translation from Trade Mark book 1764: "The undersigned faience baker in Delft informs with this letter that the name and sign of his shop is IN DE VERGULDE BOOT. And the goods being signed with his name IDA."

 

Full presentation at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalden Email the author at kalden@xs4all.nl

All questions about identifying, dating, valuing, buying and selling: please go to www.Aronson.nl.

Notes: Thanks to the Delft Archives Staff for their help and enthusiasm. See Wik Hoekstra-Klein, volume 1 in her series 'Geschiedenis van de Delftse Plateelbakkerijen', on "De Vergulde Boot", co-produced with the 'Projectgroep Delfts Aardewerk', published by Stedelijk Museum Het Prinsenhof, Delft, 1999. A well researched two volume book on Delftware is Marion S. van Aken-Fehmers et al, Delfts Aardewerk, Geschiedenis van een nationaal product, published jointly by Waanders, Zwolle & Gemeentemuseum, Den Haag, 1999 (part 1) and 2001 (part 2). Potters' mark not shown in Jean Justice, 'Dictionaire des marques et monogrammes de la faience de Delft', Gand/Gent 1901..

How did they make Delft blue faience? text in English

Hoe maakte men Delfts blauw plateel? Tekst in het Nederlands.  

Visit The Hague municipal Gemeentemuseum site on Delft Blue.

 

 

Latest address location information was added from W. Hoekstra-Klein, Geschiedenis van de Delftse Plateelbakkerijen, vols 1 - 11. Published by the Stedelijk Museum 'Het Prinsenhof' Delft.

This page launched January 2002. Last update 5 May 2006.