3. De Drie Klokken - The Three Clocks / Les trois Cloches (workshop active from 1670 or 1671 - 1841). Located at the very corner of Korte Geer and Korte Breedstraat. The workshop included an area (covered?) at the back yard of this house. Exact address is Korte geer 11a. There was a warehouse, started 1816 at the south corner of Lange Geer 20.
A serious collector of Delftware will attempt to identify and date the object. On Delft blue plates and other Delftware objects such as jugs, a potters mark may give a first indication. One should always treat potters marks with caution. Marks must be considered as just one indication.
Masters & apprentices
All masters and apprentices working at this workshop had to be inscribed in the Delft St Luke Guild Book. In 1877 this book was published in a 120 page text by Obreen. In 2002 this text has been scanned and is now available and fully searcheable on this internet site. See the yellow field on top; first click the heading Delft Artists & Patrons and then click Obreen. The full text is in Dutch. Spelling varies; in order to find masters or apprentices of a faience workshop (plattielbackers, plateelbacker, platielbacker) search for the letters "plat".
Translation from Trade Mark book 1764: "In comliance with the orders of the Lord Masters be it known that in the facade of faience workshop of the undersigned are shown Drie Klokken (Three Clocks) being also the mark put on his goods , or with these letters WD."
Full presentation at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalden Email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions about identifying, dating, valuing, buying and selling: please go to www.Aronson.nl.
Notes: Thanks to the Delft Archives Staff for their help and enthusiasm. See Wik Hoekstra-Klein, volume 4 in her series 'Geschiedenis van de Delftse Plateelbakkerijen', on "De Drie Klokken", co-produced with the 'Projectgroep Delfts Aardewerk', published by Stedelijk Museum Het Prinsenhof, Delft, 1999. A well researched two volume book on Delftware is Marion S. van Aken-Fehmers et al, Delfts Aardewerk, Geschiedenis van een nationaal product, published jointly by Waanders, Zwolle & Gemeentemuseum, Den Haag, 1999 (part 1) and 2001 (part 2).
Mark shown in Jean Justice, 'Dictionaire des marques et monogrammes de la faience de Delft', Gand/Gent 1901.
How did they make Delft blue faience? text in English
Hoe maakte men Delfts blauw plateel? Tekst in het Nederlands.
Visit The Hague municipal Gemeentemuseum site on Delft Blue.
Latest address location information was added from W. Hoekstra-Klein, Geschiedenis van de Delftse Plateelbakkerijen, vols 1 - 11. Published by the Stedelijk Museum 'Het Prinsenhof' Delft.
This page launched January 2002. Last update 25 October 2016.